Quick Link Quick Link

Do I Need A Building Permit?

To Obtain A Building Permit:Print and complete appropriate application and forward to the Building Official's office by one of the following ways:
  • Bring to City Hall located at 5 East 4th Street
  • Mail application to City of Grafton Building Official, P.O. Box 578, Grafton, ND 58237
  • Fax application to 701-352-2730
Questions can be directed to our Building Official:
Phone: (701) 352-1561
Email: nziegelmann@graftonnd.gov

Examples of when you need to obtain a building permit are:  
  • New Construction
  • Remodeling that involves the removal of walls, construction of new walls or re-construction of 2 or more wall surfaces or other work in excess of $2,000
  • Replacing existing windows with a larger window or installation of egress windows
  • Re-shingling (repair to less than 25% the roof area exempt)
  • Re-siding (repair to less than 25% wall area exempt)
  • Sheds (constructing or moving in)
  • Construction and replacement of decks 
  • Construction and replacement of fences
  • Construction or replacement of sidewalks or driveways on the public way (berm)
  • Placement of manufactured (mobile) homes
What permits do I need for construction or placement of a new home or business building: 
One or more of the following permits may be required:
  • Building permit
  • Water-sewer-curb cut/access permit
  • Floodplain development permit
  • Manufactured home placement permit
  • Special use or variance permits
CODES FOR HOMEOWNERS can be found at Carnegie Regional Library
Call Building Official at 701-352-1561 for more details on your specific questions.

Does my contractor have a license?
Applications for Building Permits
Fence Regulations
Garage Requirements
Cleaning Mold and Mildew